Monday 1 April 2013

Is Procrastination Really Worth it?

Seeing as this is my first blog that I have ever written and I barely know the basics to writing a blog, let alone a good one, I thought I'd begin by talking about exactly what I am doing right now. PROCRASTINATING! I will try to utilise my personal experiences as well as experiences of others about procrastination and I will compile a list of tips in order to get over it, and do your work! I am specifically talking to myself right now. Anyway....

What is Procrastination?

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, it is the "Action of delaying or postponing something." and according to the Urban Dictionary it's definition is "I'll put up a definition later." Pretty self-explanatory. 

This is something that is incredibly common in all walks of life and will affect the majority of the population at some point during their lives. The idea of putting something off can be applied to a huge amount of scenarios, whether it be school homework, revision, assignment deadlines, ringing the doctor, buying necessities (especially when money is tight), doing the laundry, and so on. Procrastination is not only common, but in extreme cases, it can seriously affect your life, particularly as it is a known effect of mental disorders. 

My Experience

From my point of view, as I am still an undergraduate student, this is particularly a bad time to procrastinate. I have a number of essays to write as well as a script and then in May I have exams. The problem is that I know I have all of this work to do, but I blank it out of my mind (especially during the holiday.) Considering right now is the Easter Holiday and I don't have to go back to Uni for another 2 weeks, I already know that I am going to be leaving the majority of my work up until the last week. Is this a bad thing? Well, it is and it isn't. Depending on your personality and how well you respond to pressure, results can vary. I remember at secondary school how my classmates (and sometimes myself) did the homework on the school bus. Looking back I don't see much point in it, other than to avoid getting told off. But then again, at least it's fresh in the mind for the class that day! 

The fact that I always have work on my mind puts me on edge a little but if it really affected me, then I would definitely do something about it. You are your own person and you can decide how much something means to you. Procrastination is very much linked with negative connotations, but why can't we embrace it? So here are my tips for avoiding procrastination! If  you dislike it, this is the blog for you. Otherwise, if you prefer to procrastinate, just be careful it doesn't become passive and get out of hand. 

How to Avoid or Reduce the Amount of Time your Procrastinate

1) Distractions are often a common cause of procrastination. You become so engaged in your hobby or interest that you put your work or formalities on the back burner. The TV and Video Games are probably the most common methods people use to put something off. "Oh I'll just watch this first" What's that? A sequel? I'll play an hour of my game first"  Then one hour becomes two. Does this sound like you? It sounds like me. So my first tip is to Avoid Distractions by any means: work outside, work in the car, go to the library, unplug the television. These distractions should be used as a treat rather than a priority. I'm sure we all know it, but if it is becoming a problem, then you have to avoid any situation where you may be tempted to leave your work. 

2) Diet, Exercise and Sleep. Thinking about it, I didn't sleep at all last night because my cat Felix was Meowing his head off and I've eaten a whole easter egg today. No wonder I'm not working! Diet affects your concentrations levels, mood and well being. Also, watch out comfort eaters, are you eating because you are bored or just because you're going to have a break from work and then end up not bothering to go back to it. Exercise must be taken either before or after doing work if work is your procrastination. I find there is nothing worse than sitting at the computer all day. Finally, sleep is just as important and I find it particularly underrated. For those of you that do your essay the night before a deadline, I don't condone your actions, but I commend you. There is no possible way I could do that. 

3) Get your priorities straight. Look at yourself and think. Why am I procrastinating? I'm using work/homework as an example as this is what I know best (I'm 22 so I get my mum to do my laundry.) . If it is a degree you're doing, think of all the money you are spending on getting an education. If you are at school, the grades you get will definitely depend on how hard you worked and how organised you were. Because if you leave education at 16 and get a job, it will otherwise become a steep learning curve. Make sure you look at your work from a different point of view. 

4) If you are depressed or anxious then procrastination is something which will be affecting a great deal of your life. It is not only about that, but also a lack of motivation to do anything at all. In this case, where procrastination may appear to worsen and spiral out of control, I recommend seeing a professional. Not only will this give you an outlet to relieve all your problems that are on your chest, but it too will benefit you because they have dealt with these issues many times before. 

5) Work with friends or a group. This more often than not helps you to get your work done. Set a day aside to get down and do some work together in a quiet environment. I find that if you are doing work which is different to your friends' work, it is even better. 

6) Consequences. What will happen if I don't do the work? I have no issue with extending deadlines for whatever reason, other than can't be bothered. Fixing a date on an extension is okay, but an informal extension where there is no set date can sometimes be a hindrance rather than a help. When talking to your tutor, teacher or boss, make sure you organise an exact date when the work needs to be done for. This is very important. 

7) Reward yourself. Yes, it turns out there is light at the end of the tunnel! Find some sort of method to give yourself a reward every time you do a piece of work. If it's TV give yourself a break, but time yourself. If it's food, restrict your quantity. Remember, us non-procrastinators eat healthily! :) 

IN SUMMARY

Procrastination can be quite difficult to overcome, but as long as you can recognise you're doing it, you are one step of the way to getting rid of it. Try different techniques, experiment. If none of my techniques work, then try alternative therapies like meditation or yoga. Just think, no matter how long you leave it, the work will get done. If you think you can cope and relish procrastination then great, but if you are suffering because of it, then seriously consider some of my tips. If you are having a hard time, talk to someone. A problem shared is a problem halved (not doubled.) Thank you for reading and I hope to blog again soon. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment